Nice Guys of OKCupid - pt 1

Nice Guys of OKCupid – pt 1

If you follow my Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, you may already know that I bruised a rib this weekend.  You might be wondering why I’m not making a comic about that and chose to make a comic about a dead website instead.

There are three reasons.  One, to give my rib some time to heal, I decided to stick with a script that wouldn’t be very drawing intensive.  Two, the Nice Guys of OK Cupid Tumblr and the discussion surrounding hit me personally, forcing me to confront an embarrassing part of my past.  Three, I’m worried these comics won’t be well received, so I can always blame it on the pain meds making me goofy.

I’m also worried that panel four comes across as a little douchey, but as I mentioned in Weekends With Carl, there weren’t a lot of available women when I was growing up.  There weren’t a lot of people, period.  I grew up in a town of about 600 people.  I went to a college that was relatively small.  I spent two years of my life in a town of about 100 people.  It’s a difficult environment to date in.  By the time I moved to Minneapolis, an area where I had a better chance of meeting more interesting people, I was overwhelmed.  I had no idea how to meet anyone, let alone date them.

I’m not saying that it’s only reason I was single, but it was a major contributing factor.

Submit Transcript

(required)

Some XHTML Allowed

Posted on January 16, 2013 at 7:15 am in comics. Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

7 Responses

1. Kyle says:

I, for one, am interested in seeing where this is going. I have never heard of the site before, so maybe I should google it? Still, I get the feeling I can relate. :D

2. Hanna says:

MORE! MORE! Lets see these stories. I can vouch from *Aheam* being on okcupid (nolonger!) that trolls and douche bags are there…. people who look nothing like their pictures and blurt out in the first hour “WE NEED KIDS and pie!…. ” yeah… KEEP GOING!

3. Ryan Dow says:

Thanks, everybody. You won’t be able to find the specific Tumblr, Kyle, but you can still find opinions about it on the web. I’m a little bit worried that I’ve put too much focus on OKCupid, as this whole piece is more about me that OKCupid.

Also, I mispelled “engaging” in panel four. *facepalm* Will fix as soon as possible.

4. Shawn Robare says:

Hey Ryan, I don’t think panel 4 is douchey, not if it’s how you felt. It’s not like you come across as if you were blaming the women you met, everyone has their own standards…

5. sonicsuns says:

Yay for Rebecca =)

I wonder what this Tumblr thing is about. I’ve never heard of it. (The specific blog I mean, not tumblr in general).

All I know is that I’ve spent months on OkCupid and I haven’t found anybody. I’m totally respectful, but nevertheless nobody’s interested in me. I got exactly one date out of it, and she never talked to me again.

It’s discouraging. =(

6. Rebecca says:

Yay!

7. Rebecca says:

I did not mean to say “Yay” to your poor luck on OKCupid sonicsuns. I was on OKcupid for 6 years and then decided to quit for good one month before I met Ryan. Ya never know when or who you’re gonna meet. I’ve heard of many people having lots of good luck with internet dating. I personally prefer the old fashioned method, however, dating websites and the whole thrill of blind dates are addictive for me.

My personal opinion of OK cupid is that people on that site want a date, but are afraid of long-term commitment. I feel like I am a fair judge of that site, after 6 years of bumping around and dating probably 10 or more dudes. Most of the people (guys, gals, and gender queer) I’ve met on OKCupid have been extremely nice people, just not as emotionally stable as I like. I’m glad I met Ryan.